I Live in a Pick-Up Truck

This was a nine month journey of self discovery. I left Portland in May 2009 and returned in February 2010. I used this travel as a tool to regain self-confidence and a good perspective on the world. It worked.

Friday, November 6, 2009

all you are left with are your dreams. or your nightmares.

i slept in my truck last night. it seemed like the best thing to do, allow some space and remind myself that i am still "on the road." i will need to get used to being back there, this is a way to ease it on in. it was nice being back there, it is cozy and it felt like home. a slight bit cramped, but thats how it is.

in the morning, i went to the coffee shop, to wake up a little and just have a space to use the internet, and work on a mix cd for muna. also, i had run my battery down to nothing last night because i fell asleep watching a movie. it wasnt very good. while in the midst of making the cd, muna walked up on me and we talked a little bit. we are still on for karaoke tonight, which will hopefully bring back that spirit of joy that had been pervasive for most of my time here in richmond. then she went to work. shortly after that i moved on from there to look for a place to lunch at.

it's funny, i was driving along thinking of my future and all of the questions that have been raised in the last days. and i said to myself, at least this truck is still doing well. this thing is keeping me going and that is a welcome surprise. as if on cue white smoke starts billowing from under the hood. i pull over as expediently as possible and cut the engine. sitting there, i could see smoke in the cab as well.

just my luck.

i got out and opened the hood, a rush of smoke came out and i quickly located the problem. some hose on the left side had become separated where there is a hose clamp. i also noticed that my oil cap was missing in action. so, i didnt know what the hose was for, the liquid around it was green so i assumed it was antifreeze, but with the oil cap gone and oil sputtering about inside there, i thought the worst.

i reattached the hose clamp and the hose - with my trusty leatherman - hoping that that would be enough of a fix until i could find an auto parts store. there was a large box hardware store in front of me and i assumed they would have an auto section so i gingerly pulled up in there and went to inquire about my truck. there is no auto section, but they pointed me in the direction of some auto parts store, about a mile away.

i looked longingly at my truck and hoped that it would make it. it did, i pulled into the first i saw but they wouldnt come out to diagnose my truck with me so i pushed on to the next, an autozone. i was pretty sure that they come out and help you with your vehicle so i pulled in there and got some help. a guy came out with me and assured me that it was antifreeze. i also found the oil cap then, it was stuck to the roof of the hood, not stuck, really just lodged up there. i pulled it out and put in back on. that was excellent.

the guy told me i should buy some new hose clamps, some more antifreeze and was pretty sure he had the power steering cap that i was looking for. so we went inside and purchased these things. i installed the new hose clamps and that seemed to be taken care of. then i got the power steering cap on - a great success. then i moved to the antifreeze and started pouring it on into the radiator. i poured the whole gallon in and the radiator wasnt full yet. i didnt know if it needed to be full or how full it ever should be, so i went back inside and the guy helped me again.

i had to buy another gallon of antifreeze and spent almost $30.00 in there. that sucked, because i wanted to spend no more than $40.00 for the rest of my time here in rva. looks like that plan has gone out the window. he showed me the proper way to add antifreeze and we got the radiator full with some left over. i thanked him and moved on. although this incident wasnt something that i wanted, it offered a perfect situation to lift my spirits.

something unexpected has come up in my life and i need to do something about it. i use my better judgment and care to ease through the situation. i find help along the way and then apply the remedies. in the end this unforeseen situation has been worked through and all parties come out on the positive end. a necessary feel good story for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home