I Live in a Pick-Up Truck

This was a nine month journey of self discovery. I left Portland in May 2009 and returned in February 2010. I used this travel as a tool to regain self-confidence and a good perspective on the world. It worked.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

some technical notes

before i get any further, i need to get some technical stuff out of the way. things that i need to remember and while i keep track, it will be reall easy to lose track if i dont document. so, when my trip started my odometer read 109,133 miles. on a 1987 ford pickup truck. the odometer actually only has five digits for the miles and a digit for the tenths of miles, i am simply assuming that it has turned over one time to be 100,000, unrealistically it could only be 9,133 miles, or 309,133 miles. the most realistic is 109,133 and thats what i'll stick with.

i filled up my tank five times now, by my count and have traveled 1,631 miles to san luis obispo. thats where i last filled up. i have consumed 64 gallons of gasoline and am filling up 12.8 gallons on average each fill up. my tank holds 15 gallons. the average price per gallon is $2.56. and i am spending an average of $32.77 for each fill up. i have spent a total of $163.66 on gas so far.

the numbers are a little skewed becasuse i factored in the last fill up which is gas i havent used yet, but using the flawed numbers above, i am getting: 25.5 mpg. and that, to me, is really good. i was hoping to get around 20 mpg, and the numbers are skewed to be a low average...which means i am actually doing better than that. i will try to do this every five tanks of gas to keep a running average.

1 Comments:

At May 25, 2009 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Brian "bht" Bailitz said...

the lost tank of gas took me 300 miles. i am not going to factor that into the equation. it stands a is. but i have started a new cycle now. yay!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home