I Live in a Pick-Up Truck

This was a nine month journey of self discovery. I left Portland in May 2009 and returned in February 2010. I used this travel as a tool to regain self-confidence and a good perspective on the world. It worked.

Friday, June 5, 2009

macrame as money; or doing what i always wanted to do

so, i spent today in prescott hanging out in the old town square. making macrame. i relearned to make necklaces, making 3 in about two and half hours. i would like to get it down to about a half hour per necklace. i was just enjoying the weather and environment, hanging out. kind of waiting for food not bombs, but mostly just enjoying the day.

i made two basic necklaces and one fancy one. while i was making the fancy one, a lady came up to me and chatted me up. she wanted to know if i knew where she could buy a hemp bracelet. i pointed at myself and smiled. i quoted her $5 for a bracelet. she seemed pleased with that. i gave her my number and she said she'll call tomorrow.

so then i started making bracelets. bracelets are very quick and easy. i can probably do 4 and hour. i made two and set up ten more. while i was working on the second on another person walked up and asked if i would make him one. i told him that i sell them for $5 and he asked if i would be here tomorrow.

of course i would. why? because there is some craft fair going on tomorrow at the square and later on a square dance! heaven calls. i love square dancing. now i will just need to find someone to dance with... confidence be with me.

so, tomorrow i will probably do more of the same. i have 10 more bracelets set up and ready to be knotted and i think 9 necklaces. so, hopefully i get dont with most of that tomorrow and sell at least the two that were spoken for. sweet. maybe i can sell more at the craft fair.

i guess, for explanations sake, i will tell the story. when i first came out to oregon i was making necklaces and bracelets (i called them necklai and bracelai, respectively, at the time). i had a cache of about 20 of each, and i would regularly go down to the saturday market and the waterfront with the intention to sell them, but i could never work up the courage to lay out my wares for people to judge. i was way to critical of myself and petrified of someone making fun of my stuff.

now, i think that i am over that. i can just sit in my chair and have my stuff on my little table. let people come and go as they please, buy as they wish. i think that i could make some money doing this, and for that i am happy. we'll see what happens after tomorrow though. i like this place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home