I Live in a Pick-Up Truck

This was a nine month journey of self discovery. I left Portland in May 2009 and returned in February 2010. I used this travel as a tool to regain self-confidence and a good perspective on the world. It worked.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Day One

well, today is the first day of the rest of my life. and the beginning of a journey. i couldnt sleep much this morning and got up earlier than i wanted to. that will probably become a very common occurrence. everything is in the truck now aside from me and my computer. i got my check in the mail yesterday and when the bank opens i will take them the check cash it and then go pick up my buddy rubin.

and then off to "farewell bend" as it was originally called. not inhabited by europeans until 1824, not settled until 1905. the largest city in central oregon...boasting about 80,000 inhabitants. also, the only city in the continental united states aside from portland that has an extinct volcano within city limits. i believe it is called pilot butte.

my plan is to take i-5 south to salem and then head east on highway 20 which basically takes me to bend. it shouldnt take more than three hours. then i leave rubin behind and explore bend for a bit. there is the deschutes brewery that i will try to visit, and probably something else. i will walk around and take some pictures and see what it is like.

i am nervous to start just because. i will be nervous for the first night alone away from home in the truck. but hopefully the joy of the road will allay some of that nervousness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home